Clashes outside cathedral in Egypt leave one dead
Cairo: The head of Egypt`s national ambulance services says one person has been killed in clashes outside Cairo`s main Coptic Christian cathedral.
Mohammed Sultan said the person died of wounds from birdshots.
Sunday`s clashes outside the St Mark Coptic Orthodox Cathedral began shortly after hundreds of angry Christians left the sprawling complex to stage an anti-government march following a funeral for four Christians killed in sectarian clashes yesterday.
Soon after they left the complex, a mob, described by witnesses as residents of the area, pelted them with rocks, firebombs and birdshot, forcing them back inside the complex. They also showered the protesters with rocks from the roofs of nearby buildings, according to witness Ibrahim el-Shareef.
At least 21 people were also injured in the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore