Clashes outside cathedral in Egypt leave one dead
Cairo: The head of Egypt`s national ambulance services says one person has been killed in clashes outside Cairo`s main Coptic Christian cathedral.
Mohammed Sultan said the person died of wounds from birdshots.
Sunday`s clashes outside the St Mark Coptic Orthodox Cathedral began shortly after hundreds of angry Christians left the sprawling complex to stage an anti-government march following a funeral for four Christians killed in sectarian clashes yesterday.
Soon after they left the complex, a mob, described by witnesses as residents of the area, pelted them with rocks, firebombs and birdshot, forcing them back inside the complex. They also showered the protesters with rocks from the roofs of nearby buildings, according to witness Ibrahim el-Shareef.
At least 21 people were also injured in the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Today in History, 24th September, 2016
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi