Clashes outside cathedral in Egypt leave one dead
Cairo: The head of Egypt`s national ambulance services says one person has been killed in clashes outside Cairo`s main Coptic Christian cathedral.
Mohammed Sultan said the person died of wounds from birdshots.
Sunday`s clashes outside the St Mark Coptic Orthodox Cathedral began shortly after hundreds of angry Christians left the sprawling complex to stage an anti-government march following a funeral for four Christians killed in sectarian clashes yesterday.
Soon after they left the complex, a mob, described by witnesses as residents of the area, pelted them with rocks, firebombs and birdshot, forcing them back inside the complex. They also showered the protesters with rocks from the roofs of nearby buildings, according to witness Ibrahim el-Shareef.
At least 21 people were also injured in the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!