Clashes outside US embassy in Cairo leave 200 injured
Cairo: Some 200 people were injured in clashes outside the US embassy located in the Egyptian capital, said an official related to ambulance service on Thursday.
"Eight people were hospitalised and the others were given first aid at the scene," Ahmad Al-Ansari, the deputy head of Cairo`s ambulance service, further told reporters.
Among the total injured were 24 security personnel, including six officers and 18 soldiers, Xinhua reported.
Riot police fired warning shots and tear gas to disperse hundreds of protesters who were throwing stones and "Molotov cocktails" also known as a petrol bomb.
Violence swept through Muslim communities around the world following the posting of a short film dubbed "Innocence of Muslims" on YouTube on Tuesday. The movie has been denounced as offensive to Prophet Mohammed and immoral.
Protests in Cairo started on Tuesday, when crowds of local residents breached the walls of the US embassy and tore down the American flag. Angry demonstrators were later pushed out beyond the compound`s perimeter, but they continue to block access to the building.
The standoff is likely to continue into the weekend. The powerful Islamist movement the Muslim Brotherhood called on Egyptians to gather for a nationwide protest action on Friday following evening prayers.
The film has been actively promoted by a Florida pastor Terry Jones who gained notoriety for threatening to burn and then burning a copy of the Koran, which set off riots in Afghanistan in 2010 and 2011, the New York Times reported.
The most serious fallout from the controversy over the film so far occurred in Libya, where US Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed on Tuesday in an attack on the US consulate building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble