Clashes over Army rule in Egypt, 20 killed
Cairo: At least 20 people were killed and more than 150 injured on Wednesday when thugs attacked anti-military protesters with rocks, clubs, firebombs and shotguns near the Egyptian defence ministry here in a tense run-up to the first presidential elections in the post-Mubarak era.
Clashes between protesters around Egypt`s Ministry of Defence left twenty dead till now, according to protesters and the make shift hospital in the Abbassiyah square.
The health ministry insists there were only six dead. Soldiers and police have now stopped the clashes, but the intervention came nearly six hours after they began.
The health ministry said more than 150 people were injured today and that many were receiving treatment at a nearby field clinic. Some had gunshot wounds and others had been attacked with knives, according to medical sources.
Some reports also said the unidentified attackers were local people, angry at the disruption caused by the sit-in, which began on Saturday, the BBC reported.
Many of the protesters who were attacked this morning were supporters of a Salafist preacher, Hazem Abu Ismail, barred from standing in the election. They also demanded disbanding of the presidential election commission.
The protesters claim the thugs were backed by the army as they have been photographed in a number of protests before and some of them were arrested by protesters and confessed to have been paid by the army to attack the protests.
The army on the other hand insist they are neutral, have protected the revolution and want to turn the authority over to civilians as soon as possible with the presidential elections slated for May 23 and 24.
As a result of the clashes seven main parties including the Muslim Brotherhood, Justice party and Salafi Nur party decided to boycott the meeting with the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) today to decide on the principles governing the formation of the constituent assembly to draft the constitution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared