Clashes over Army rule in Egypt, 20 killed
Cairo: At least 20 people were killed and more than 150 injured on Wednesday when thugs attacked anti-military protesters with rocks, clubs, firebombs and shotguns near the Egyptian defence ministry here in a tense run-up to the first presidential elections in the post-Mubarak era.
Clashes between protesters around Egypt`s Ministry of Defence left twenty dead till now, according to protesters and the make shift hospital in the Abbassiyah square.
The health ministry insists there were only six dead. Soldiers and police have now stopped the clashes, but the intervention came nearly six hours after they began.
The health ministry said more than 150 people were injured today and that many were receiving treatment at a nearby field clinic. Some had gunshot wounds and others had been attacked with knives, according to medical sources.
Some reports also said the unidentified attackers were local people, angry at the disruption caused by the sit-in, which began on Saturday, the BBC reported.
Many of the protesters who were attacked this morning were supporters of a Salafist preacher, Hazem Abu Ismail, barred from standing in the election. They also demanded disbanding of the presidential election commission.
The protesters claim the thugs were backed by the army as they have been photographed in a number of protests before and some of them were arrested by protesters and confessed to have been paid by the army to attack the protests.
The army on the other hand insist they are neutral, have protected the revolution and want to turn the authority over to civilians as soon as possible with the presidential elections slated for May 23 and 24.
As a result of the clashes seven main parties including the Muslim Brotherhood, Justice party and Salafi Nur party decided to boycott the meeting with the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) today to decide on the principles governing the formation of the constituent assembly to draft the constitution.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark