Cleric among 42 killed in Syria mosque blast
Damascus: At least 42 people were killed, including a senior Muslim cleric, and over 80 wounded in an explosion at a mosque in downtown Damascus Thursday.
A suicide bomber set off an explosive device at the mosque during a religious lesson being given by Sheikh Mohammad Said Ramadan al-Buti, a top Sunni Muslim preacher and long time supporter of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, state-news agency SANA reported Thursday.
The 84-year-old cleric and religious scholar was killed in the blast. Sheikh al-Buti used to deliver mosque sermons Fridays on state television. He particularly condemned terrorism and violence.
Al Arabiya reported that the Free Syrian Army, fighting the regime of Assad, denied any involvement in the death of Sheikh al-Buti.
"We in the Free Syrian Army do not take any responsibility for this operation. We do not do these types of suicide bombings and we do not target mosques," reported Al Arabiya citing rebel spokesperson Loay Maqdad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far