Cleric vows attacks if US troops stay in Iraq
Baghdad: A powerful anti-American Shiite
cleric in Iraq with thousands of loyal followers says US
forces who stay past the December 31 withdrawal deadline are
fair game to attack.
Muqtada al-Sadr made the statement on his website Tuesday
after Iraqi government officials recently said they were
opening talks with Washington to discuss keeping a number of
American forces in the country.
Iraqi officials, worried about a potential backlash if US
troops remain, have reiterated that any potential American
military force would be kept to train Iraqi troops.
But al-Sadr`s statement indicates that thousands of
Iraqis strongly oppose any American troops staying in the
country, regardless of their role.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter