Cleric vows attacks if US troops stay in Iraq
Baghdad: A powerful anti-American Shiite
cleric in Iraq with thousands of loyal followers says US
forces who stay past the December 31 withdrawal deadline are
fair game to attack.
Muqtada al-Sadr made the statement on his website Tuesday
after Iraqi government officials recently said they were
opening talks with Washington to discuss keeping a number of
American forces in the country.
Iraqi officials, worried about a potential backlash if US
troops remain, have reiterated that any potential American
military force would be kept to train Iraqi troops.
But al-Sadr`s statement indicates that thousands of
Iraqis strongly oppose any American troops staying in the
country, regardless of their role.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015