Clinton declined Obama `08 request to attack Palin
Washington: Hillary Rodham Clinton today said She refused an Obama campaign request in 2008 to attack Sarah Palin, the new Republican vice presidential candidate on the ticket with Sen John McCain.
"The Obama campaign did contact me and asked me if I would attack her," Clinton told NBC in an interview that aired today. "I said, `Attack her for what, for being a woman? Attack her for being on a ticket that`s ... Trying to draw attention?``
Clinton said she told the campaign, "There`ll be plenty of time to do what I think you should do in politics, which is draw distinctions."
The former secretary of state is weighing another run for the White House in 2016. Clinton today was releasing her new memoir, "Hard Choices."
Yesterday, Palin tweeted a page from Clinton`s new book, "Hard Choices," that contained Clinton`s description of the episode.
In it, Clinton says that the Obama campaign suspected Palin`s nomination "was a blatant attempt to scuttle their hope of welcoming the women who had vigorously supported me" in Clinton`s own unsuccessful presidential campaign.
"They immediately issued a dismissive statement and reached out to me in hopes I would follow suit," Clinton writes.
"But I wouldn`t. I was not going to attack Palin just for being a woman appealing for support from other women. I didn`t think that made political sense and it didn`t feel right. So I said no, telling them there`d be plenty of time for criticism. A few hours later the Obama campaign reversed itself and congratulated Governor Palin."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre