Clinton favours probe of Gaddafi role in Lockerbie bombing

Last Updated: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 13:52

Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton has supported the move to probe the possible role of
Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi in the 1988 Lockerbie plane
bombing.

"We are going to continue to pursue this. This is a
matter of great personal importance to me," Clinton told
lawmakers at a Congressional hearing responding to a question
on probing Gaddafi`s role on the plane bombing.
Clinton said the UN Security Council resolution passed
against Libya last week has a referral to the International
Criminal Court.

"That would certainly be one of the many counts that
would be put against him if he ever is captured alive and
turned over for justice proceedings," she said.

"Because there have been statements made in the last days
by what are now former members of the Libyan government,
figuring Gaddafi, making it clear that the order came from the
very top, I think we do need to move expeditiously," Clinton
said.

"To this British government`s credit, a report has been
put forth giving us more information about what went on behind
the scenes, but there is a lot that we still need to do and
this letter is a good list of beginning efforts that need to
be undertaken," she said in response to a question at a
Congressional hearing of the House Committee on Foreign
Affairs.

Clinton said the issues were raised in a letter to her by
Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Chairwoman of the House Committee on
Foreign Affairs.

"I was given a letter before coming out here, thanks to
the chairwoman, that asked very specific questions about how
we could gather evidence and put together a case against
Gaddafi and all those with whom he might have conspired in
setting in motion the chain of events that led to the
explosion over Lockerbie," she said.
"We will follow up on that. Much of the activity that is
asked for in the letter would have to be done by our law
enforcement agencies that I will certainly contact after this
hearing -- FBI Director (Robert) Mueller and Attorney General
(Eric) Holder and others -- to see how we can move on that,"
she said.

Libyan national Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi was the
only man convicted in 2001 for the bombing of Pan AM Flight
103 over the Scottish town of Lockerbie on December 21, 1988
that killed 270 people, most of them Americans.

But Megrahi was later released on compassionate grounds
in August 2009 after doctors said he was suffering from
terminal cancer and had three months to live.

PTI



First Published: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 - 13:52

comments powered by Disqus