Clinton reiterates conditions for reconciliation with Taliban
Washington: US Secretary of State Hillary
Clinton on Sunday reiterated conditions for reconciliation with
the Taliban, the Afghan militant movement seeking the
overthrow the country`s US-backed government.
Some Taliban had already "come over to the other side,"
Clinton told NBC television’s "Meet the Press" program.
"Now, if they do so, they have to renounce al-Qaeda," she
explained. "They have to renounce violence. They have to give
up their arms. And they have to be willing to abide by the
NATO and the United States are throwing thousands of
extra troops into Afghanistan, where their military deployment
is set to peak at 150,000 in August under a strategy designed
to bring a swift end to the conflict.
Most of the extra troops are deploying in the south, the
heartland of the Taliban-led insurgency and the focus of the
US-led fight to flush the militants from Kandahar and Helmand
Clinton, noting that US commanders on the ground had
noticed that some Taliban fighters were willing to leave the
battlefield, said a political settlement was possible.
"I don`t know any conflict in recent times that didn`t
have some political resolution associated with it," she said.
"People either got tired of fighting and decided they
would engage in a peace process. (Or) they were defeated
enough so that they were willing to lay down their arms."
More than two thirds of the international force in
Afghanistan are from the United States.
A total of 173 foreign soldiers have died in the country
And in 2009, according to a news agency tally using data from
icasualties.org, 520 foreign soldiers died fighting the
Taliban in Afghanistan, making it the deadliest year for them
since the war began in 2001.
Violence was "sharply above the seasonal average for the
previous year -- an 87 percent increase from February 2009 to
March 2010," according to a quarterly Pentagon report to
Congress released this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside