Clinton to leave for third trip to Asia-Pacific in a yr
Washington: In her third trip to the region within year, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will embark on a two-week visit to the Asia Pacific region Thursday.
Beginning with Cook Island, Clinton will travel to Indonesia, China, Timor-Leste and Brunei. She will end her trip by leading the US delegation to APEC Economic Leader’s Meeting on September 8-9 in Russia.
"We have been emphasising the pivot to Asia for some time now. The Secretary is personally very invested in that. This is the second or perhaps third trip already this year to Asia," said State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland, underlining the importance the region holds for the Obama administration.
"The Pacific Islands grouping has been one that she has been working with and nurturing all the way through. She met with the Pacific Islands Foreign Ministers at the UN General Assembly last year. They invited her to be the first Secretary in some years to come to this forum, and she accepted," she said.
On the issue of South China Sea dispute, Nuland said multilateral conversation over a code of conduct that "keeps with" international law and the Law of the Sea Treaty is the "best way" to address such disputes and the US "continues to urge" for the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof