Clinton to leave for third trip to Asia-Pacific in a yr
Washington: In her third trip to the region within year, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will embark on a two-week visit to the Asia Pacific region Thursday.
Beginning with Cook Island, Clinton will travel to Indonesia, China, Timor-Leste and Brunei. She will end her trip by leading the US delegation to APEC Economic Leader’s Meeting on September 8-9 in Russia.
"We have been emphasising the pivot to Asia for some time now. The Secretary is personally very invested in that. This is the second or perhaps third trip already this year to Asia," said State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland, underlining the importance the region holds for the Obama administration.
"The Pacific Islands grouping has been one that she has been working with and nurturing all the way through. She met with the Pacific Islands Foreign Ministers at the UN General Assembly last year. They invited her to be the first Secretary in some years to come to this forum, and she accepted," she said.
On the issue of South China Sea dispute, Nuland said multilateral conversation over a code of conduct that "keeps with" international law and the Law of the Sea Treaty is the "best way" to address such disputes and the US "continues to urge" for the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH