Clocks to go an hour backward on Oct 31
Moscow: October will become the longest month of the year when several countries across the globe will adjust their clocks one hour backward a week from now.
"Typically, clocks are adjusted forward one hour near the start of spring and are adjusted one hour backward in autumn," say experts from the State Metrology Centre which is mainly done on the last Sunday of March and on the last Sunday of October.
Sandford Fleming, a Scottish-born Canadian engineer and inventor, had proposed worldwide standard time zones.
He gained support of the US government in 1883, and 26 countries signed the time zone agreement in Washington DC in 1884.
A time zone is a region on Earth, more or less bounded by lines of longitude, that has a uniform, legally mandated standard time, usually referred to as the local time.
Time zones are adjusted seasonally into standard and daylight saving (or summer) variants. Daylight saving time zones (or summer time zones) include an offset (typically +1 hour) for daylight saving time. The daylight saving time idea was put forward by US statesman Benjamin Franklin.
Nowadays, 110 out of 192 countries adjust their clocks twice a year.
Iceland is the only exception in Europe. However, countries located near equator never as Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Georgia, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan do not follow it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested