Cocaine in Costa Concordia captain`s hair
London: Traces of cocaine have reportedly been found in a hair sample of the captain of Costa Concordia, the luxury cruise ship that ran aground off the Italian coast last month.
The cocaine was, however, not found within the strands of Francesco Schettino’s hair or in his urine, the usual signs that someone ingested the drug.
Experts said that the discovery does not prove that Schettino had used the drug, The Daily Mail reports.
Stefano Zerbi, a lawyer representing some of the survivors of the stricken cruise ship described the results as ‘very strange’, saying he believed the samples ‘more than anything else, had been badly preserved and contamination might have resulted’.
According to the report, experts also suggested that Schettino might have been around the cocaine even if he did not consume any.
Meanwhile, Schettino is under house arrest in his home near Naples while he is investigated for alleged manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning his ship.
The cruise liner was carrying over 4,000 passengers when it crashed into a reef near a tiny Tuscan island on January 13, 2012, tipping over on to its side.
According to the report, nearly 32 people on the ship are believed to have died in the accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi