Cold War over, Russia is NATO`s partner: Merkel
Lisbon: The former adversaries -- Russia and NATO -- have made a historic step to be closer to each other, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said at the NATO summit in Lisbon.
The Cold War is really over, she noted yesterday.
At the same time, she suggested not placing too great hopes on new cooperation between the parties at the initial stage.
The chancellor believes cooperation with Russia will become a turning point. The former military adversary at present becomes a partner. It is a change in cooperation that may be described as historic, she noted.
However, Russia and NATO have a long way to go before they reach considerable progress to ensure common security. But the fact that they enter this way is of exceptional importance, the German chancellor stressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II
- Airtel proposes Rs 30 crore annual package to Sunil Mittal
- Chinese soldiers spotted in Uttarakhand's Chamoli; defence ministry says 'no incursion'
- US Presidential Elections: Donald Trump could win, warns Barack Obama
- Delhi Transport Minister says 17 auto unions end strike; union leader denies
- World at war over money, not religious faith, says Pope