Colombia donates flowers for Swedish royal wedding
Bogota: Colombia will gift thousands of flowers for the upcoming wedding of Princess Victoria, heir to the Swedish throne, government and business officials said on Saturday.
The crown princess, 32, is set to marry Daniel Westling on June 19 in Stockholm.
Flower growers and exporters, supported by the Colombian government, will send more than 40,000 flowers -- roses, carnations, hydrangeas, and irises -- to the wedding, Nubia Martinez, president of the state-run Export Promotion Fund, said yesterday.
"This gesture brings both countries closer and is a great opportunity for the world to learn of the beauty of Colombian flowers," Martinez said.
"It`s a special gift for Princess Victoria from all Colombians," she added.
Colombia is the world`s second largest flower exporter, and the main supplier of flowers to the United States, said Agusto Solano, president of the Association of Colombian Flower Exporters (Asocolflores).
Colombian flower exports raked in more than USD 1 billion in 2009, according to Asocolflores figures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown