Colombia rebels, government, resume Havana peace talks
Havana: Marxist FARC rebels and representatives from Colombia`s government sat down together on Tuesday for the first time in more than a month, tying up loose ends as they embark on a new round of peace talks.
The meeting is the first between the two sides since the re-election last month of President Juan Manuel Santos, which gave a big push to the talks.
Officials told AFP that a few unspecified unresolved matters would have to be attended to before the two sides can take up the next agenda item, the thorny issue of compensating victims of the half century long conflict.
"There are one or two meetings to wrap up unresolved things before starting on the issue of the victims," a source in the government`s delegation told AFP.
"It is not exactly a new round of talks, rather a meeting of the parties to deal with some issues," said Andres Paris, a member of the delegation representing the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC.
Agreement between the two sides has been already decided on three agenda points, rural development; the rebels` reintegration into the political process; and illegal drugs.
In addition to the question of victims` compensation, there are two more issues to be taken up, the laying down of weapons by the FARC and determining whether an eventual comprehensive peace agreement should be put to a national referendum, as the government insists.
Talks on ending Latin America`s longest running armed conflict, which has raged since the FARC`s founding in 1964, have been under way in Havana since November 2012.
A center-right leader, Santos had staked his presidency on a negotiated peace with the FARC, Latin America`s oldest and largest insurgency, with about 8,000 men under arms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof