Colombia-US base agreement continues to irk Chavez
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez charged that the controversial new US deal to use Colombian military bases means US troops can move anywhere within the South American country.
"They are turning all of Colombia into a (US) base," an outraged Chavez yesterday said in his television and radio program Alo Presidente.
"They cannot keep this a secret; the details are coming out. Gringo military staff have been authorised to operate anywhere in Colombia," Chavez charged.
The leftist-populist Venezuelan President displayed a document that he said was from the US Air Mobility Command to justify his claims.
He said he would bring it to an upcoming meeting of Latin American leaders August 28 in Bariloche, Argentina which has been called to discuss the US military presence in Colombia.
He claimed that it reads in part: "The United States requires freedom to act in strategic global areas."
Chavez interpreted that to mean that the United States is bent on "taking the Orinoco (River delta) resources area" and muscling into Brazil`s Amazon basin area.
"I am bringing the document and I am going to listen to the Colombian government`s lies," in Argentina, Chavez said.
"Colombia is lending its territory for them to come in and install their radars, their drone planes, their equipment, so they can dominate South America and act freely across the continent," Chavez charged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India