Colombian cops suspended after journalist`s death
Bogota: Three Colombian police officers were suspended Friday in connection with the death of journalist who said he was beaten in custody.
The inspector general of the national police, Gen. Santiago Parra announced the suspensions in Sincelejo, capital of Sucre province, where the incident occurred.
"We don`t come here to judge or to condemn, because they are murky events," Parra told reporters, adding that his office is taking direct charge of the investigation.
Guillermo Quiroz, who worked for several different radio, television and print outlets in Sucre, was stopped by police Nov 20 as he was covering a protest against a foreign energy company.
The officers demanded to see the registration for the reporter`s motorcycle, according to Francisco Barrios, director of Notisabanas television.
Citing problems with the registration documents, the cops impounded the motorcycle and ordered Quiroz to board a police vehicle.
Quiroz re-emerged hours later with severe contusions on his head, arms and back.
"They put me in a vehicle and a policeman hit me and knocked me around while the vehicle was moving," the 31-year-old Quiroz said from the clinic where he ultimately died seven days after the assault.
A police report released Friday said Quiroz was the aggressor in the confrontation.
Quiroz was laid to rest Thursday in San Pedro amid protests by fellow journalists and area residents that led to clashes with police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview