Colombian journalist wounded in grenade attack
Bogota: A journalist was wounded by attackers who struck at a community radio station in Colombia`s Arauca province, which borders Venezuela.
The Sarare Estereo radio station in Saravena is the same station that employs a female reporter and an environmental engineer who were kidnapped two weeks ago by the National Liberation Army, or ELN, guerrillas, Colombia`s Press Freedom Foundation, or FLIP, said.
Paola Osorio, a journalist and presenter, was wounded when the attackers threw a grenade at the station last Friday around midnight, the FLIP said in a statement. The station was being protected by police at the time.
"The explosive detonated several meters (yards) from the station and wounded the presenter who was leaving the facility at that time," the non-governmental organization said.
"A female journalist was slightly wounded (and) ... the attack was against on-duty police," Arauca police commander Col. Wilson Bravo told the FLIP.
Sarare Estereo has been the community`s voice in denouncing violent acts by the guerrillas, Emiro Goyeneche, the director of the station, which has been on the air for 17 years, told the FLIP.
Due to the nature of its work, the station receives regular threats against its journalists and facilities, Goyeneche said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks
- Nationalism is BJP's identity, our sole aim is nation-building: PM Modi