Colombian warplanes raid rebel camps: Defence Minister
Bogota: Colombian warplanes bombed two leftist rebel camps in the southern Meta region in a New Year`s Day raid that killed 18 rebels and resulted in the capture of 11 others, the country`s Defence Minister said.
In a separate incident, a soldier and a 14-year-old girl were killed in an attack by the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, better known as the FARC, in the southwestern region of Huila, the military said.
Defence Minister Gabriel Silva said the raid on the rebel camps in Meta war were carried out by air force planes which bombed the camps and special operations forces on the ground.
"While Colombians celebrate the end of year holidays with their families, our soldiers maintain their commitment to confront narco-terrorism in the country`s jungles," he said.
Silva said the operation was part of a response to the kidnapping and assassination of governor Luis Francisco Cuellar 10 days ago in the southern region of Caqueta.
Authorities also said that on New Year`s Eve FARC guerrillas opened fire against an Army patrol in the southwestern region of Huila, killing a soldier and a 14-year-old girl who was caught in the crossfire.
Four other people were hurt in the incident, according to a military spokesperson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks