Colombia`s Prez unveils major offensive against guerrillas
Bogota: Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has said that he would "redouble" the military`s offensive against leftist guerillas after attack killed 40 police and military officers.
Colombia`s rebel groups have launched a string of deadly attacks in recent weeks following the inauguration of Santos, a former defence minister who has promised to keep pressure on the insurgents.
"We have decided to intensify the offensive... so that these criminals do not have time to plan their operations," Santos said yesterday in Monteria, in Cordoba department.
The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) -- Latin America`s oldest and most powerful insurgency -- and the National Liberation Army (ELN) traditionally carry out more violent attacks during government transitions.
Santos took power on August 07.
Eight police officers were killed in clashes with leftist rebels on Friday in southwestern Colombia near the border with Ecuador in a shootout with members of the Marxist FARC who tried to take over San Miguel town in Putumayo province.
Santos has rejected a rebel offer of peace talks, calling for them to first free hostages and stop recruiting minors.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs