Colorado shooting suspect expected in court again
Centennial: The suspect in last month`s Colorado theater shooting was expected in court again today as news media planned to ask a judge to unseal documents and weaken a gag order that keeps a university from releasing details about its former student.
A news agency and 20 other news organizations want Chief District Judge William Sylvester to make available documents that could provide details about James Holmes and the July 20 attack at a midnight showing of the latest Batman movie that left 12 people dead and 58 injured.
Holmes, a 24-year-old former PhD student at the University of Colorado, is charged with multiple counts of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder.
Arapahoe County prosecutors say releasing documents could jeopardize their investigation. Holmes` attorneys want to ensure he receives a fair trial.
The judge has barred university officials from responding to public records requests concerning Holmes, saying giving out the information would jeopardize the county`s investigation. City officials have cited the order in declining to speak about Aurora`s response to the shootings.
Court documents, which include search warrants, inventories of evidence collected by police and police interviews with witnesses, can be an important source of information for the public.
"It is performing our watchdog role to look at the process and try to assess for the public how the police have handled the case and assembled the evidence and assure for the defendant and the public that things are being conducted open and fairly," said Gregory Moore, editor of The Denver Post.
"It goes way beyond what`s necessary to protect the defendant`s right to a fair trial."
Sylvester could make a decision today or at a later time. Arapahoe County District Attorney Carol Chambers, through a spokeswoman, declined comment ahead of the hearing, citing the gag order.
Holmes` public defender, Daniel King, did not return a message left with the Colorado State Public Defender`s office. Steven D Zansberg, an attorney representing the news media consortium, said the judge should at least explain which documents have been sealed and why.
Little is known about how police say Holmes prepared for the shooting or how they say he rigged his nearby apartment with explosives. Aurora Police Chief Daniel Oates has said the explosives were designed to kill anybody who entered Holmes` apartment.
Defense attorneys and prosecutors routinely ask judges to keep some documents sealed, often because the documents contain information a jury won`t hear at trial, said Denver criminal defense attorney Daniel Recht, who also argues First Amendment cases.
But Moore, the editor, noted that some Colorado judges have sealed entire court dockets under the argument that the mere fact of media coverage will damage a case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’