Colorado suspect made threat in March: Prosecutors
Denver: Newly-filed court records allege that the man accused of opening fire on a Colorado movie theatre in July told a classmate he wanted to kill people four months before the shooting.
Prosecutors made the contention in a motion released today. They are seeking access to James Holmes` records from the University of Colorado Denver`s neuroscience graduate programme.
Prosecutors wrote that Holmes left the programme in June after also making unspecified threats to a professor that month and failing his year-end final.
Holmes` attorneys argue that prosecutors should have no access to his student records. The papers they filed in response to prosecutors do not address the allegations of threats.
Holmes is charged with killing 12 and wounding 58 during the July 20 attack on a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colorado.
Holmes` defence lawyer, Daniel King, has said Holmes is mentally ill, setting up a possible insanity defence.
But arguments at a hearing yesterday by Chief Deputy District Attorney Karen Pearson revealed a possible motive: Holmes` anger that he was failing at school, "at the same time he`s buying an enormous amount of ammunition, body armour and explosives”.
A gag order has been issued in the case. Prosecutors argued that gaining access to the school records would establish a motive by showing what Holmes hoped to accomplish at Colorado University and the "dissatisfaction with what occurred in his life that led to this”.
They also want to see records from campus police and a campus threat evaluation team similar to those established across the country after the 2007 Virginia Tech University shootings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened