Colorado suspect made threat in March: Prosecutors
Denver: Newly-filed court records allege that the man accused of opening fire on a Colorado movie theatre in July told a classmate he wanted to kill people four months before the shooting.
Prosecutors made the contention in a motion released today. They are seeking access to James Holmes` records from the University of Colorado Denver`s neuroscience graduate programme.
Prosecutors wrote that Holmes left the programme in June after also making unspecified threats to a professor that month and failing his year-end final.
Holmes` attorneys argue that prosecutors should have no access to his student records. The papers they filed in response to prosecutors do not address the allegations of threats.
Holmes is charged with killing 12 and wounding 58 during the July 20 attack on a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colorado.
Holmes` defence lawyer, Daniel King, has said Holmes is mentally ill, setting up a possible insanity defence.
But arguments at a hearing yesterday by Chief Deputy District Attorney Karen Pearson revealed a possible motive: Holmes` anger that he was failing at school, "at the same time he`s buying an enormous amount of ammunition, body armour and explosives”.
A gag order has been issued in the case. Prosecutors argued that gaining access to the school records would establish a motive by showing what Holmes hoped to accomplish at Colorado University and the "dissatisfaction with what occurred in his life that led to this”.
They also want to see records from campus police and a campus threat evaluation team similar to those established across the country after the 2007 Virginia Tech University shootings.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016
- Time flies! Emraan Hashmi reminisces four years of 'Jannat 2'
- Russia says bolstering forces to counter NATO
- Structural reforms needed to put India on faster growth path
- Total prohibition decision dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi: Nitish