Colorado suspect made threat in March: Prosecutors
Denver: Newly-filed court records allege that the man accused of opening fire on a Colorado movie theatre in July told a classmate he wanted to kill people four months before the shooting.
Prosecutors made the contention in a motion released today. They are seeking access to James Holmes` records from the University of Colorado Denver`s neuroscience graduate programme.
Prosecutors wrote that Holmes left the programme in June after also making unspecified threats to a professor that month and failing his year-end final.
Holmes` attorneys argue that prosecutors should have no access to his student records. The papers they filed in response to prosecutors do not address the allegations of threats.
Holmes is charged with killing 12 and wounding 58 during the July 20 attack on a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colorado.
Holmes` defence lawyer, Daniel King, has said Holmes is mentally ill, setting up a possible insanity defence.
But arguments at a hearing yesterday by Chief Deputy District Attorney Karen Pearson revealed a possible motive: Holmes` anger that he was failing at school, "at the same time he`s buying an enormous amount of ammunition, body armour and explosives”.
A gag order has been issued in the case. Prosecutors argued that gaining access to the school records would establish a motive by showing what Holmes hoped to accomplish at Colorado University and the "dissatisfaction with what occurred in his life that led to this”.
They also want to see records from campus police and a campus threat evaluation team similar to those established across the country after the 2007 Virginia Tech University shootings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents