Comedy show lands Kuwaiti woman writer in hot water
Kuwait City: Kuwaiti writer-director Fajer al-Saeed has been questioned over accusations that she tried to overthrow the Gulf state`s government through a television comedy show, her lawyer said today.
"She was questioned by the public prosecutor on Thursday over a complaint by the information ministry and was released without bail," Faisal al-Enezi told AFP. The prosecutor accused Saeed of attempting to overthrow the government, change the country`s economic and social systems and demolish the foundations of society using
illegal means, Enezi said.
"My client categorically denied the accusations and said they were politically motivated," he said. The accusations were based on a comedy show titled "Sawtak Wasal" or "Your Voice Has Been Heard," aired in August by the local satellite channel SCOPE which is also owned by Saeed, he said.
Saeed both writes and directs the show. One episode spoke about "privatising and exporting Kuwaiti democracy" in a comic way to highlight continued wranglings that have rocked politics in the oil-rich emirate for years, Enezi said.
On Monday the public prosecution is scheduled to interrogate the satellite station`s director Talal al-Saeed, a former MP and Fajer`s brother, the lawyer added. MPs have lashed out at the government over the accusations.
"Referring the SCOPE channel to the public prosecution on state security charges over a comedy show is a catastrophe and a silly act by the information ministry," parliament
speaker Jassem al-Khorafi told reporters.
Liberal MP Aseel al-Awadhi said the ministry was trying to stifle freedom of speech, and former liberal MP Mohammad al-Abduljader called on the information minister to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you