`Committed to solve Iran N-issue through talks`
New Delhi: The International Atomic Energy Agency(IAEA) is committed to resolve the Iran nuclear issue through dialogue though no concrete result has been achieved during the last round of talks, IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano said on Wednesday.
Terming the Iran nuclear issue as "very complicated", Amano asked the leadership in Tehran to fulfil its UN obligations and assure it that its nuclear activities were for peaceful purposes.
"We have not yet reached an agreement and as a consequence no concrete result has been achieved," he told reporters here adding that he has asked Iran to work with a sense of urgency on the issue.
Amano said he had told the meeting of the IAEA Board of Governors last week that "we have to work on this issue with a sense of urgency".
The agreement between Iran and the IAEA must be in accordance with effective verification practices, he said referring to the late February meeting between IAEA officials and Iranian diplomats in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
"The IAEA is committed to solve the issue through dialogue. We will continue the dialogue and hope we can report good results in June," he said.
IAEA has been demanding access to Iran`s nuclear facilities to ensure that it has not diverted nuclear material for military use.
Iran has been maintaining that its nuclear programme was for peaceful purposes. Amano "deeply regretted" North Korea`s third nuclear test conducted on February 12 and asked it to abide by and implement UN resolutions in this regard.
"North Korea has an obligation to discontinue nuclear activities and abandon nuclear weapons," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow