`Commoner` Duchess Kate’s aristocratic roots revealed
London: Duchess Kate, who seems to be proud of her descendants being coal miners and road sweepers, has blue blood ancestry as well, researchers say.
Research carried out by Australian history teacher Michael Reed uncovered a link between the Duchess of Cambridge and former prime minister William Petty FitzMaurice, the Marquess of Lansdowne.
Reed established the connection after asking his pupils to investigate the family tree of the Duchess using a genealogy website.
FitzMaurice is related to the 30-year-old wife of Prince William through Lady Barbara Bullock, her second cousin, three times removed.
Reed was helping one of his pupils study the royal’s past when he uncovered the Middleton family’s link to Lady Barbara, whose maiden name was Lupton.
Genealogists were aware of her connections to the prosperous Luptons but this is the first time their links with the aristocratic Bullocks have emerged.
Kate’s earthier links to a family of Co Durham miners, an inmate of Holloway Prison and a west London road sweeper are well established.
“Everyone has always made it clear Kate’s a commoner so when I saw one of her cousins had a title, I was intrigued,” the Daily Express quoted Reed as saying.
Having trawled through his family tree, Reed discovered that Kate is also related to the Hon Thomas FitzMaurice, who lived at the famed Cliveden stately home in Berkshire with his countess wife Mary.
Reed sent his discovery to St James’s Palace with a photo of Lady Barbara and received a letter of thanks from her assistant private secretary Rebecca Deacon several weeks later.
“Thank you for your letter in connection with your research on The Duchess of Cambridge’s background,” the letter said.
“Her Royal Highness would have me send you her best wishes, and thanks for thinking of her in this way, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India