‘Commoner’ Kate discovers blue blood in her own family
London: Much has been made of Kate Middleton`s "humble roots" since her marriage to Prince William, but a new research has claimed that she is related to nobility and has a feted prime minister among her family tree.
New research by an Australian history teacher has claimed that she is related to one of Britain`s grandest families and can count a prime minister, earls and countesses among her kin.
The news has been welcomed by 30-year-old Kate, who was informed of her aristocratic heritage during the first few weeks of her pregnancy, The Telegraph reported.
Since the Duchess married into the Royal family, much has been made of her "humble" roots, with coal miners, a road sweeper and even a prisoner among her ancestors.
The previously unpublished side of the Duchess` family tree has uncovered her link to William Petty FitzMaurice, the 1st Marquess of Lansdowne, who served as prime minister from 1782 to 1783 and is best remembered by historians for negotiating the end of the American War of Independence.
His link to the Duchess was discovered by Michael Reed, a history teacher from Melbourne, Australia, after he asked his class to choose one of three well-known figures, David Beckham, the footballer, 50 Cent, the American rapper, or the Duchess, and to look at their ancestry using an online family tree programme.
While assisting one of his pupils, Reed discovered a link from the Middleton`s to Lady Barbara Bullock, nee Lupton, who he identified as the Duchess`s second cousin three times removed.
"Everyone has always made it clear Kate`s a commoner so when I saw one of her cousins had a title, I was surprised and intrigued," Reed, 47, said:
Further research found that in 1917, Barbara Lupton had married Sir Christopher Bullock, a Cambridge scholar and descendant of William Petty FitzMaurice.
Christopher served as Winston Churchill`s principal private secretary in 1919, and later became permanent under-secretary at the British Air Ministry from 1931 to 1936.
Reed sent his findings to the Duchess at St James` Palace, together with a photograph of Barbara Lupton.
On October 19, when it is believed she was in the first few weeks of her pregnancy, the Duchess asked Rebecca Deacon, her assistant private secretary, to write to Reed, thanking him for his discovery.
"Thank you for your letter in connection with your research on The Duchess of Cambridge`s background. It was kind of you to take the trouble to write as you did and thank you for bringing this to our attention," she wrote.
"Her Royal Highness would have me send you her best wishes, and thanks for thinking of her in this way," Deacon added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow