Communal clash erupts in Nigeria`s capital, 2 killed
Abuja: At least two people were killed and 1,500 others were displaced on Sunday during a communal clash in the suburb of Nigeria`s capital territory of Abuja.
The fighting between itinerant Fulani herdsmen and Gwari indigenes in Gwagwalada area of Abuja affected 27 communities, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said.
"The 1,500 internally displaced people are currently squatting in a temporary camp on the permanent campus of the University of Abuja in Gwagwalada area," NEMA director general Muhammad Sani said in a statement.
He said the fighting started as a result of encroachment of herds of cattle into farmlands in the area.
"We assure the displaced communities that all measures would be taken to ensure the security and protection of lives and properties," Sani said.
Minister of Federal Capital Territory Bala Mohammed has called an emergency meeting of the warring communities in Gwagwalada tomorrow to dissuade them from further fighting.
Fulani herdsmen are an itinerant group that rear cattle by grazing but some communities are often enraged by their encroachment on farmlands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack