Comply with international obligations: US to North Korea
Washington: Arguing that North Korea will achieve nothing by threats or provocations, the US on Tuesday night said that Pyongyang should choose the path of peace and comply with its international obligations.
"We continue to urge the North Korean leadership to heed President Obama`s call to choose the path of peace and to come into compliance with its international obligations," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.
"This is something that we work on consistently with our international partners. The United Nations Security Council recently took action unanimously in response to North Korean actions that were not in keeping with their international obligations and imposed further sanctions as part of that process," Carney said.
Carney said North Korea`s bellicose rhetoric and the threats that they engage in follow a pattern designed to raise tensions an intimidate others.
North Korea, he said, will achieve nothing by these threats or provocations, which will only further isolate North Korea and undermine international efforts to ensure peace and stability in Northeast Asia.
Meanwhile the Pentagon said that it is taking necessary precautionary measures in view of the recent increase in threat from North Korea, while continuing to urge the North Korean leadership to comply with its international obligations.
"The facts are that the North Koreans are developing their missile capabilities in violation of international law and norms of international behavior. They need to stop," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters.
The US and South Korea, he said are moving forward to take new steps on a combined command and control structure for their alliance.
The counter-provocation plan serves as a representation of the continued development of strategic, operational and tactical cooperation, Little added.
"It improves our combined readiness posture and allows immediate and decisive response to any North Korean provocation," he said.
"It`s very important that we do everything we can to stabilize the peninsula and not take rhetoric to where it shouldn`t go. And that`s what the North Koreans are doing right now, and that should cease," Little said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?