Computer glitch forces New York-Paris superjumbo to turn back
Paris: An Air France A380 had to turn around
and land in New York after problems with its navigation
system, only days after the superjumbo began flying across the
Atlantic, the airline said on Monday.
The double-decker Airbus made a U-turn 90 minutes after
takeoff from New York and landed safely at Kennedy Airport in
the early hours of Saturday, an Air France spokesman told a news agency.
"The plane is new and is still getting into its stride.
It was a minor computer problem that made navigation a little
imprecise," he said.
The plane was carrying about 530 people on the New
York-Paris flight when it was forced to turn back. Following
repairs in New York, it took off again three hours later.
It was the second time that an A380, the world`s largest
passenger plane, was forced to turn around in mid-flight due
to a malfunction.
A Singapore Airlines superjumbo returned to Paris on
September 27 after one of its four engines failed during a
routine flight to Singapore. Airbus later said the engine
trouble was a "non event" in technical terms.
The Air France spokesman described last week`s problem as
a "minor" computer glitch, and said the airline took immediate
steps to respond to the defect.
"It was a minor glitch, but we do apply a principle of
absolute caution and as soon as there is the slightest
concern, we come back, we fix it and the plane takes off
again," he said.
"It was a problem with the in-flight computer but it did
not at all affect air speed," he added.
An Air France A330 jet made by Airbus crashed in the
Atlantic in June, killing all 228 people on board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city