Condoleezza recounts Gaddafi`s `eerie` obsession
Washington: Colonel Muammar Gaddafi had a "slightly eerie obsession" with Condoleezza Rice, describing her as his "African Princess”, the ex-US secretary of state said in an excerpt from her memoirs published on Thursday.
The late Libyan leader met Rice in the oil-rich north African country in September 2008, a historic meeting that signalled the once pariah state`s return to the diplomatic table after decades of isolation.
Rice, unlike ex-British prime minister Tony Blair, declined to meet Gaddafi in his infamous tent, opting instead to hold talks in his residence.
"Obviously, the first visit by a US secretary of state since 1953 would be a major milestone on the country`s path to international acceptability," wrote Rice in her book, "No Higher Honor”, published online by The Daily Beast.
“But Gaddafi also had a slightly eerie fascination with me personally, asking visitors why his `African princess’, wouldn`t visit him."
Rice, who served under president George W Bush, said she had been warned ahead of the meeting to ignore the Libyan leader`s "crazy" behaviour as he would eventually "get back on track”.
But her suspicions were soon confirmed.
"He suddenly stopped speaking and began rolling his head back and forth. `Tell President Bush to stop talking about a two-state solution for Israel and Palestine!` he barked. `It should be one state! Israeltine!`," Rice recalled.
"Perhaps he didn`t like what I said next. In a sudden fit, he fired two translators in the room. `Okay.` I thought, `this is Gaddafi’."
Rice`s meeting with Gaddafi -- once described by former US president Ronald Reagan as a "mad dog" -- took place in Bab al Azizia, a Tripoli residence which was hit in US bombing raids ordered by Reagan in 1986.
It was there that the Libyan leader insisted Rice join him for dinner in his private kitchen, where he later presented her with a collection of photos of the US diplomat`s meetings with world leaders -- set to the music of a song called "Black Flower in the White House”, written for Rice by a Libyan composer.
"It was weird, but at least it wasn`t raunchy," Rice said of the episode.
The talks were dominated by Gaddafi`s decision to give up his weapons of mass destruction in 2003, in the wake of the September 11, 2001 attacks, and the need to secure a financial settlement for families of victims killed in the bombing by Libyan agents of Pan Am Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt