Condom dispensers in Philadelphia high schools
Washington: Philadelphia is reportedly planning to install condom dispensers in 22 city high schools to prevent an "epidemic" of sexually transmitted disease among the teenagers.
The non-profit group DKT International hosted a condom tester contest in which 6,500 or 5 percent of them have tested positive for diseases including HIV, out of the total 130,000 student who have received testing in the last five years.
It was the results of those tests that led officials to start the current program to distribute condoms regularly in schools instead of once a year when the tests are conducted, ABC News reported.
According to the school district spokesman Fernando Gallard, students as young as 14 will be able to receive condoms for free, as after they return to school from Christmas break they will find clear plastic dispensers filled with condoms installed in the offices of nurses whose schools have the highest rates of STDs.
Gallard asserted that it is a part of their responsibility to distribute the condoms in order to keep students healthy, as the health department has described the results of the tests as a continued epidemic of STDs among teenagers in Philadelphia.
According to Gallard, Philadelphia has earlier provided students with condoms, as part of wider program in which the teenagers are provided "free, voluntary and confidential" testing for sexual diseases in their schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh