Conference on Syria settlement very soon: UN chief
Moscow: After consultations with UN Security Council permanent members, a conference on the Syrian settlement will take place "very soon", possibly at the beginning of June, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said here Sunday.
"As I have been asked by the parties to convene this conference on the auspices of the United Nations, I`m now actively engaging with all the parties I have spoken to: the US, Russia, Britain, France, China, all other key parties," Ban said.
"We are still trying to look at a window possibility in early June but this is a matter of still further consultations," he said.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov earlier said after a meeting with US Secretary of State John Kerry that an international conference on Syria at a ministerial level may be held in Geneva if both sides of the Syrian conflict agreed to participate in the event.
The conference would be a follow-up to last year`s international meeting in Geneva that drafted a peace roadmap for Syria.
Opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad have refused to sit for talks with the regime in the past, saying that Assad`s removal is a non-negotiable issue.
Syria has been locked in a civil war since demonstrations broke out against Assad in March 2011. According to UN estimates, at least 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH