Congo bans 69 Chinese fishing boats
Brazzaville: The Republic of Congo has banned
69 Chinese fishing boats from its waters for illicit
activities, Fisheries Minister Dieudonne Kiessiekiaoua said
"These boats are suspended until further notice from
industrial fishing in Congolese territorial waters, because of
a failure to respect the laws and regulations in force,"
Kiessiekiaoua told a news agency.
The banned boats, which belong to three Chinese companies
named as Lulu, Rong Chang and Huayi Jinri, were fishing in a
prohibited zone up to six nautical miles offshore, which is
set aside for reproduction and renewal of fish stocks.
In August, Kiessiekiaoua said that Congo had acquired a
satellite surveillance system to watch over boats and better
control its waters. The central African country also recently
banned fishing with explosives and with fine-meshed nets.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata