Congo gunmen kill 36 at pub in Burundi: Official
Bujumbura: Armed men from Congo burst into a pub in the central African nation of Burundi and killed 36 people, an official said on Monday. One wounded man said an attacker yelled: "Make sure there`s no survivors."
Burundi, a tiny nation still reeling from a civil war that killed more than 250,000 people, is awash in weapons but attacks like the one on Sunday night are rare. Still, the region borders eastern Congo, which is wracked by violence from a myriad of rebel groups.
Bujumbura province governor Jacques Minani said the attackers targeted the pub in Gatumba, west of Burundi`s capital, after crossing the river from Congo.
Survivor Jackson Kabura, who was shot in the stomach, said the men entered wearing fatigues.
"I saw a man in military fatigues," he said. "One of them said, `kill them all, kill them all. Make sure there`s no survivors.`"
President Pierre Nkurunziza has declared three days of mourning and gave the government one month to find the culprits.
Burundi`s war started in 1993, when Tutsi paratroopers assassinated the country`s first democratically elected president, a Hutu. A ceasefire was declared in 2006 but it took several more years to finally see an official end to the fighting.
Gatumba was the site of a 2004 massacre of Congolese refugees. Human Rights Watch said at least 150 people were killed in the attack claimed by the country`s last rebel army, the Forces for National Liberation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145