Congo rapes not mentioned to patrols: UN
New York: The top UN envoy in Congo said on Wednesday that two peacekeeping patrols were not informed by villagers that mass rapes were taking place and the United Nations is now working to improve communications and prevent any recurrence.
Roger Meece, the new UN special representative, said peacekeepers didn`t learn about the "horrific" rapes of at least 154 Congolese civilians for nearly two weeks, which showed that the force`s actions to protect civilians were insufficient and need to be improved.
He said one idea being pursued was to have villages report to the UN`s forward operating base at Kibua every day. If the force did not receive a report, he said, it would assume there was a problem and send a patrol to investigate.
Meece gave the most detailed account of the UN`s actions since Monday`s report that Rwandan and Congolese rebels gang-raped nearly 200 women and some baby boys over four days not far from Kibua in eastern Congo`s mining district. He spoke to reporters at UN headquarters by videoconference from Goma in eastern Congo.
Will F Cragin of the International Medical Corps said on Monday that aid and UN workers knew rebels had occupied Luvungi town and surrounding villages the day after the attack began on July 30. He said his organisation was only able to get into the town after rebels ended their brutal spree of raping and looting and withdrew of their own accord on August 04.
The UN wasn`t made aware of the attacks until more than a week later, despite the fact that UN patrols had been in Luvungi twice after the attacks began.
Pressed on why two UN patrols learned nothing about the mass rapes, Meece said he could only speculate, noting that communication is always a problem in Congo.
"There is, of course, a significant amount of cultural baggage ... associated with rapes in this area, as well as elsewhere." he said. "Is it conceivable that the local villagers were afraid of reprisals if they reported anything to MONUSCO? Possible. Is it conceivable that they were ashamed of what has happened in some form? That`s possible."
"I can only speculate as to what may have been the reasons, but I know that these can be very powerful in the local society and environment," he said.
According to an American aid worker and a Congolese doctor, the rebels gang-raped nearly 200 women and some baby boys.
Meece, a former US ambassador to Congo, said the UN peacekeeping force, known as MONUSCO, first received information on July 31 that combatants from the Rwandan rebel FDLR group were in the area, but there was "no suggestion at this point of an attack, much less of ... the mass rape in the villages in the area."
The following day, the UN received information that Congolese Mai-Mai rebels were also moving to the area, probably to establish a roadblock of commercial traffic to get money, Meece said.
The UN learned later on August 01 that a roadblock had been established, he said.
Early on August 02, Meece said, a Congolese Army patrol took off from its base at Mpofe toward Kibua and the UN later learned that the roadblock was removed, that Congolese soldiers and "remnants" of the rebel groups exchanged fire, and that the number of rebels in the area "dramatically decreased”.
The UN had no direct contact with the Congolese patrol "nor was there any information to suggest that there was large-scale rape”, he said.
A UN patrol also stopped in the village of Luvungi on August 02, he said, "but the village people did not make any reports of what had happened in the preceding days."
Meece said another MONUSCO patrol stopped in Luvungi on August 09 and "once against there was no information that rapes had taken place, no less mass rapes”.
"The first reports that we got of the widespread rape ... was on August 12" from the International Medical Corps, and the following day a UN Joint Human Rights and protection team went to the area to investigate.
Meece said the UN force is reviewing its patrol activities and considering holding meetings with local officials in the villages to increase contact.
He said about 80 peacekeepers based at Kibua are responsible for 300 square kilometres (115 square miles).
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has sent Assistant Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Atul Khare to Congo to help investigate. He also sent his Special Representative for Sexual Violence in Conflict, Margot Wallstrom, to take charge of the UN`s response and follow-up to the attacks.
Ban also urged the UN Security Council on Wednesday to "seriously consider what more we can do" in Congo and elsewhere to protect civilians during peacekeeping operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'