Connecticut gunman had forced his way into school
New York: The gunman who slaughtered 26 people at a US school had forced his way into the building before he went about brutally shooting young children, some of whom hid in closets and barricaded themselves in bathrooms out of terror, police said on Saturday.
As police searched for the motive that led the 20-year-old man first kill his mother and then innocent children at the Connecticut elementary school, details emerging about the man indicated he suffered from a personality disorder.
"The victims have been positively identified," Lt J Paul Vance, a spokesman for the Connecticut State Police, told the media.
Vance did not give further details but said valuable information had been found at the gunman`s home, according to the New York Times.
"We are hopeful it will paint a complete picture of how and why," Vance added.
Police is waiting to interview the only survivor of the shooting who is being treated at a hospital.
Law enforcement officials said Adam Lanza, the gunman, who ended his killing spree by turning the gun on himself, had dawned combat gear and was armed with semiautomatic pistols and a semiautomatic rifle.
Lanza forced his way into the school building and then shot child after child.
When the principal and teachers tried to intervene, they, too, were shot dead, they said.
As panic gripped the school, a janitor ran through the halls alerting others of the shooting, and terrified children hid in closets, barricaded themselves in bathrooms and huddled in classroom corners, authorities said.