Consensus builds on new Lebanon PM
Beirut: Tamam Salam, a moderate member of Lebanon`s Western- and Saudi-backed opposition, emerged on Friday as a consensus candidate to take over as prime minister.
The post has been vacant since March 22 when prime minister Najib Mikati announced his surprise resignation, in effect bringing down his Hezbollah-dominated government.
Parliamentary representatives were to begin submitting their nominations for the post to President Michel Sleiman on Friday afternoon, with Salam winning the endorsement of the opposition March 14 coalition and Walid Jumblatt, the veteran kingmaker who leads Lebanon`s Druze community.
Initial reports said Salam could also have the backing of the governing coalition which groups Hezbollah and its pro-Syrian allies.
The two-day nomination process aims to resolve the crisis sparked by Mikati`s resignation, which came as the conflict in neighbouring Syria deepens tensions within Lebanon`s multi-confessional population.
Mikati led a government dominated by the so-called March 8 coalition, made up of Iran-allied Hezbollah and its partners, who back the Syrian regime of President Bashar al-Assad against a now two-year-old revolt.
The opposition March 14 alliance backs the uprising, and despite an official Lebanese policy of "dissociation" from the conflict, both sides of the political spectrum have accused each other of interfering in the fighting.
The 128-seat Lebanese parliament includes 61 members from the Hezbollah-led coalition, with 60 seats held by the opposition.
Jumblatt, who holds seven seats, has charted a complex political path.
He is fiercely opposed to the Syrian regime, but has also stood by Hezbollah, opposing any attempt to disarm the group by force.
The opposition announced their support for Salam on Thursday evening, with former prime minister Fouad Siniora saying he was a "unanimous" choice because of his "national and moral engagement."
"We wish Mr Salam good luck in leading the country through the present circumstances," Siniora told an opposition meeting in Beirut.
"It`s a great national responsibility... I thank my brothers in the March 14 coalition," Salam said at the meeting.
Jumblatt`s endorsement followed shortly afterwards in an interview on Lebanese television.
"Salam is the voice of moderation... He`s never said a bad word against the resistance (Hezbollah)," he said, calling for a national unity government to include representatives from across the political spectrum.
Salam is a son of Saib Salam, who served six terms as prime minister between 1952 and 1973, and died in 2000.
He is a Sunni -- tradition dictates that Lebanon`s prime minister hail from the sect -- and is well-regarded across the political spectrum, despite being a member of the March 14 alliance.
Salam was first elected a Beirut MP in 1996, and re-elected in 2009. A graduate of economics and management in England and married with three children, he served as culture minister between 2008 and 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly