Contempt of Congress ruling `truly absurd`: Holder
Washington: United States Attorney General Eric Holder, held in contempt of Congress for refusing to hand over set of files on a failed gun-running investigation, said that the move was ``misguided`` and lawmakers had been circulating ``truly absurd`` conspiracy theories.
"It will not distract me from the important tasks that are our responsibility," The BBC quoted Holder, as saying.
In a 255-67 vote, 17 Democrats joined the Republican-dominant House of Representatives to pass the resolution.
According to report, Holder is the first sitting attorney general of the United States to be held in contempt of Congress. The White House had refused to hand over files that inform how problems with ``Fast and Furious`` emerged.
American agents had lost track of hundreds of illegal guns that were smuggled from Arizona to Mexico to target dealers. Two of the weapons were found in December 2010 at the scene of a US border agent`s murder.
Fast and Furious ended in early 2011.
The House also voted 258-95 to ask the courts to force Holder to turn over the documents. The roots of the current Congressional investigation began on February 04, 2011 when the US Justice Department sent lawmakers a letter denying they had sanctioned, or otherwise knew about guns illegally ending up in Mexico.
The Department of Justice said it has denied access to the files because they contain information that could affect ongoing criminal investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review