Continue engagement with Muslims: OIC to Obama
Washington: The organisation of Islamic nations on Thursday congratulated Barack Obama on his resounding re-election, and asked him to continue his engagement with the Muslim world, which he initiated at the beginning of his first term.
In a letter to Obama, OIC (Organisation of the Islamic Conference) secretary general, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, appreciated the "bold initiative" Obama undertook in his first term of engaging with the outside world, in particular with the Muslim world.
In 2009, Obama addressed the Muslim world from the Cairo University, and the secretary general said the speech aroused great hopes and expectations of an even-handed policy in addressing the outstanding issues in the Middle East region and in combating and countering the forces of intolerance and prejudice that seek to create divisions.
"Hence, Ihsanoglu hoped that the enthusiasm that was generated from the speech Obama delivered in Cairo will find greater resonance in his second term," OIC statement said.
Ihsanoglu said OIC has been able to build a relationship of trust, confidence and cooperation with the US and now looks forward to strengthening this relationship in substance in the coming years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security