Continue engagement with Muslims: OIC to Obama
Washington: The organisation of Islamic nations on Thursday congratulated Barack Obama on his resounding re-election, and asked him to continue his engagement with the Muslim world, which he initiated at the beginning of his first term.
In a letter to Obama, OIC (Organisation of the Islamic Conference) secretary general, Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, appreciated the "bold initiative" Obama undertook in his first term of engaging with the outside world, in particular with the Muslim world.
In 2009, Obama addressed the Muslim world from the Cairo University, and the secretary general said the speech aroused great hopes and expectations of an even-handed policy in addressing the outstanding issues in the Middle East region and in combating and countering the forces of intolerance and prejudice that seek to create divisions.
"Hence, Ihsanoglu hoped that the enthusiasm that was generated from the speech Obama delivered in Cairo will find greater resonance in his second term," OIC statement said.
Ihsanoglu said OIC has been able to build a relationship of trust, confidence and cooperation with the US and now looks forward to strengthening this relationship in substance in the coming years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days