Conviction of ex-US House leader Tom DeLay overturned
Washington: A Texas court on Thursday overturned the criminal conviction of former US Republican congressional leader Tom DeLay on money laundering and conspiracy charges, citing a lack of evidence.
In 2010, DeLay -- a former speaker of the House known as "The Hammer" for his brass-knuckles style -- was found guilty of illegally funnelling corporate funds to political candidates during the 2002 campaign cycle and sentenced to three years in prison.
He was out on bail while his appeals case was reviewed by the 3rd District Court of Appeals in Texas, which overturned the conviction in a 2-1 ruling.
"The fundamental problem with the state`s case was its failure to prove proceeds of criminal activity," Justice Melissa Goodwin wrote in the majority opinion.
"Because we conclude that the evidence was legally insufficient to sustain DeLay`s convictions, we reverse the judgments of the trial court and render judgments of acquittal."
The court concluded that a political action committee, or PAC, created by DeLay and at the centre of the case could accept corporate donations, leaving the state unable to "support a finding of criminal intent by the corporations".
The court said DeLay had not disputed the transfer of funds, but argued in his appeal that the transfer was above board.
DeLay and two associates stood accused of channelling USD 190,000 of corporate money through the Republican National Committee to hide the true source of donations to Texas candidates.
DeLay was trying to see elected a Republican majority in the Texas legislature in 2002 so the lawmakers would redraw the state`s congressional districts to his liking.
The Travis County district attorney`s office, which prosecuted the original case, disagreed with the appellate ruling.
"We are concerned and disappointed that two judges substituted their assessment of the facts for that of 12 jurors who personally heard the testimony of over 40 witnesses over the course of several weeks and found that the evidence was sufficient and proved DeLay`s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt," the district attorney`s office said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in