Cops monitoring sex trade during Olympics?
London: Scotland Yard on Monday said it was keeping a close watch as reports claimed that London was `set to be flooded with prostitutes` during the forthcoming Olympics to cater to the thousands of visitors expected here.
Reports in the tabloid press claimed that a large number of prostitutes were expected to be in London during the duration of the Olympics.
According to the Daily Mail, some escort agencies were offering `Olympic escorts` and `gold medal` services, and that there was increased activity in east London near the stadium in Stratford.
A Yard spokesman told a news agency that a dedicated Olympics team had been set up three years ago to deal with "all forms of trafficking that might be linked with the Olympics".
He said, "As time has moved on we have not seen any rise in trafficking linked with the Olympics. This will be continually monitored and reviewed, while our ongoing operations and investigations regarding trafficking, unrelated to the Olympics, will continue".
Scotland Yard carries out local enforcement operations in response to community concerns to deal with the negative impact on street prostitution has on local residents and to assist vulnerable women from breaking the cycle of offending, he added.
No arrest figures are available for the five London boroughs in which the Olympics are to be held.
According to the Daily Mail, escort agencies were "adopting the Olympic name, laying on extra women and offering special `gold medal services`".
Residents in the Olympic borough of Tower Hamlets had reportedly petitioned the local authorities and the police to stop targeting street prostitutes with banning orders, and focus instead on the pimps and organised gangs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why