Corruption viewed as acceptable in Thai govt: Poll
Bangkok: A majority of Thai people hold the view that corruption in government is acceptable as long as they also benefit from it, according to a poll on Sunday.
Opinion polls conducted by Assumption Business Administration College (Abac) showed people continuing to support corrupt governments.
The percentage of respondents who did not mind corruption by a government as long as they also benefit from it was 64 in January 2011, 64.6 per cent in November 2011, 64.7 per cent in January 2012, and 63.4 per cent in June 2012.
The latest poll on the issue was conducted between June 1-9 on 2,142 people in Bangkok and several other Thai areas.
Abac Poll director Noppadol Kannikar said what was of concern was that the majority of youngsters aged under 20 also held the same attitude.
Concerning the existing democratic rule in Thailand, most, or 76.1 per cent, said they were satisfied with it and 23.9 per cent said otherwise.
The majority or 59.2 per cent said the state of chaos in parliament was normal in democracy while 40.8 per cent said what was happening was unusual.
Most, or 71.5 per cent, of the respondents did not want to see a coup, saying it is not the right way to solve the country`s problems, while 28.5 per cent preferred a coup, saying it could help end the state of chaos, Bangkok Post said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know