Corruption viewed as acceptable in Thai govt: Poll
Bangkok: A majority of Thai people hold the view that corruption in government is acceptable as long as they also benefit from it, according to a poll on Sunday.
Opinion polls conducted by Assumption Business Administration College (Abac) showed people continuing to support corrupt governments.
The percentage of respondents who did not mind corruption by a government as long as they also benefit from it was 64 in January 2011, 64.6 per cent in November 2011, 64.7 per cent in January 2012, and 63.4 per cent in June 2012.
The latest poll on the issue was conducted between June 1-9 on 2,142 people in Bangkok and several other Thai areas.
Abac Poll director Noppadol Kannikar said what was of concern was that the majority of youngsters aged under 20 also held the same attitude.
Concerning the existing democratic rule in Thailand, most, or 76.1 per cent, said they were satisfied with it and 23.9 per cent said otherwise.
The majority or 59.2 per cent said the state of chaos in parliament was normal in democracy while 40.8 per cent said what was happening was unusual.
Most, or 71.5 per cent, of the respondents did not want to see a coup, saying it is not the right way to solve the country`s problems, while 28.5 per cent preferred a coup, saying it could help end the state of chaos, Bangkok Post said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!