Costa Concordia crushes under its own weight
London: Costa Concordia, the stranded cruise liner, is reportedly getting crushed under its own weight off the Italian coast.
Salvage master, Nick Sloane, has said that the ship has compressed some 3 metres since the disaster and they are facing enormous technical challenges to get the ship upright.
The Sky News reports that the ship had slammed into a reef off the tiny Tuscan island of Giglio in January 2012, after its captain took it off course to bring it closer to the island.
The ship rolled onto its side after it started to take in water, becoming a ghastly tourist attraction, the report added.
The Captain of the wrecked ship, Francesco Schettino, is on trial for manslaughter, abandoning ship and causing the ship wreck that claimed lives of 32 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack