Costa Concordia crushes under its own weight
London: Costa Concordia, the stranded cruise liner, is reportedly getting crushed under its own weight off the Italian coast.
Salvage master, Nick Sloane, has said that the ship has compressed some 3 metres since the disaster and they are facing enormous technical challenges to get the ship upright.
The Sky News reports that the ship had slammed into a reef off the tiny Tuscan island of Giglio in January 2012, after its captain took it off course to bring it closer to the island.
The ship rolled onto its side after it started to take in water, becoming a ghastly tourist attraction, the report added.
The Captain of the wrecked ship, Francesco Schettino, is on trial for manslaughter, abandoning ship and causing the ship wreck that claimed lives of 32 people.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed