Costa Concordia disaster: Carnival Corp sued
Rome: Carnival Corp, whose luxury cruise liner Costa Concordia capsized off the coast of Italy, was sued by a crew member in a first of what may be multiple US lawsuits seeking class-action status over the disaster, court documents show.
Lawyers for Gary Lobaton, who was a crew member on board the Costa Concordia, said in a court filing that he was not aware of the "dangerous conditions" of the cruise ship until it was too late to abandon the ship.
The lawsuit sought to determine whether Carnival deviated from international safety standards when operating the cruise ship.
"Costa Concordia`s captain, Francesco Schettino, delayed the order to abandon ship and deploy the lifeboats," Lobaton`s lawyers said in the filing.
Lobaton, who sued Carnival individually and on behalf of all others similarly affected by the cruise disaster, had sought damages from the company, according to the court filing.
Lobaton had also requested the court to assign class-action status to the lawsuit.
The 114,500-tonne ship capsized off the Tuscan coast, which left 11 people dead and 22 missing.
According to a January 24 BBC report, the number of dead has risen to 16.
The case is Gary Lobaton vs Carnival Corp, Case No 1:12-cv-00598, US District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video