Costa Concordia passengers sue Carnival for $460 mn
Miami: Six passengers of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia, which ran aground off the coast if Italy
two weeks ago, are suing Carnival Cruise Lines, demanding
compensation totaling USD 460 million.
Carnival is the parent company of Costa Cruise Lines,
which owns Costa Concordia.
Attorney Marc Bern, who represents the plaintiffs, said
the lawsuit had been filed in a Miami, Florida, court on
Friday, alleging wanton recklessness on the part of the ship
The Costa Concordia had 4,229 people aboard including
about 1,000 personnel when it ran aground near Giglio, a
picturesque island off Tuscany that is part of a nature
reserve known to swimmers and divers for its clear waters.
The official toll from the disaster stands at 16 dead, of
whom 14 have been identified, and another 16 missing.
Since the disaster, several consumer associations have
announced their intention to bring a class action against
Costa Cruise Lines.
On Friday, negotiators announced in Italy that some 3,000
survivors of the ship wreck will receive 11,000 euros (USD
14,400) each plus expenses as compensation.
Bern said the suit had been filed despite the cruise
line`s offer to pay passengers who have returned home more
than USD 14,000 each -- and predicted more legal action in the
"Over the next two weeks there will be more lawsuits
filed in Miami," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?