Costa Rica calls OAS border resolution `victory`
San Jose: Costa Rica boasted on Saturday of a "diplomatic victory" in its border spat with Nicaragua after the Organisation of American States approved a resolution calling for removal of soldiers and security forces from a disputed area along the San Juan River.
"This is the first time in many years that the OAS permanent council has submitted a matter to a vote and only two countries voted against it," Costa Rican President Laura Chinchilla`s office said in a statement.
The OAS council normally seeks consensus. Nicaragua and Venezuela were the only dissenters in a 22-2 vote approving the resolution on Friday.
Nicaragua sent about 50 soldiers to the disputed area in October. It claims the land as its own and has already said it will not withdraw the troops. Costa Rica describes the moves as an "invasion."
The OAS resolution also calls on the two countries to continue talks on the issue.
Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega said his government is considering withdrawing from the OAS and he called the permanent council`s vote "manipulated" and "a conspiracy”.
"We have been in it due to inertia because the OAS should have disappeared a while ago," Ortega said.
In San Jose, the Costa Rican capital, unknown assailants in a vehicle tossed a gasoline bomb at the building that houses the Nicaraguan embassy on Friday, but the device did not catch fire and no injuries or damage were reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video