Costa Rica hit by 7.6 magnitude earthquake
Nosara: A powerful earthquake measuring 7.6 on the Richter scale had struck off in Costa Rican capital San Jose, the US Geological Survey said on Wednesday.
According to USGS, the major quake struck near the Pacific Coast at 8:42 am and the epicenter is reported to be in western Costa Rica about 141 kms from San Jose and 80kms from the south of the town of Liberia.
Meanwhile, as a precautionary measure, Pacific Tsunami Warning Center had issued a Caribbean-wide tsunami alert across the most of Central and South America including Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala and Peru.
In some parts of the capital, buildings and tress were shaken by the impact of the quake and power failure was also reported.
The quake lead to collapsing of some houses and blocking of highways, causing panic. As per an agency, there was only one reported death, from a heart attack.
One man died of a heart attack caused by fright, said Carlos Miranda, a Red Cross worker in the city of Liberia. A preliminary review revealed some structural damage near the epicenter, but no reports of direct deaths or injuries caused by the quake, said Douglas Salgado, a geographer with Costa Rica`s National Commission of Risk Prevention and Emergency Attention. He said a tsunami alert had been called off for Costa Rica.
Hotels and other structures suffered cracks in walls and saw items knocked off shelves.
Today`s quake occurred in a seismically active zone where the Pacific tectonic plate is diving beneath Central America.
The last deadly quake to strike Costa Rica was in 2009, when 40 died in a magnitude-6.1 temblor. The last similar-sized quake to hit the country was in 1991 when 47 people were killed in the Limon-Pandora area.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA