Costa Rican Prez Arias contracts swine flu: Official
San Jose: Costa Rica`s President Oscar
Arias, a Nobel Peace Prize winner and mediator of the Honduran
political crisis, has contracted swine flu, the government
"In the afternoon he was informed that he had contracted
the A(H1N1) influenza virus," said Rodrigo Arias, the
President`s brother and Chief of Staff.
The 67-year-old president, who was under medical care,
must remain isolated in his residence for at least seven days,
but will not delegate power during his absence, his brother
President Arias, a Nobel laureate who suffers from
chronic asthma, was said to have had flu-like symptoms for
some days, prompting medical tests.
The veteran leader has recently been spearheading
international efforts to resolve the crisis in Honduras,
meeting rival factions who have clashed since President Manuel
Zelaya was ousted in a military-backed coup in June.
Mayi Antillon, a spokeswoman for the Costa Rican
government, said Arias would continue to work from home.
"He does not want to deceive the population," she said
explaining the decision to make his illness public.
27 people have died as a result of the virus in
Costa Rica, and about 800 people have been infected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies