Costa Rican Prez Arias contracts swine flu: Official
San Jose: Costa Rica`s President Oscar
Arias, a Nobel Peace Prize winner and mediator of the Honduran
political crisis, has contracted swine flu, the government
"In the afternoon he was informed that he had contracted
the A(H1N1) influenza virus," said Rodrigo Arias, the
President`s brother and Chief of Staff.
The 67-year-old president, who was under medical care,
must remain isolated in his residence for at least seven days,
but will not delegate power during his absence, his brother
President Arias, a Nobel laureate who suffers from
chronic asthma, was said to have had flu-like symptoms for
some days, prompting medical tests.
The veteran leader has recently been spearheading
international efforts to resolve the crisis in Honduras,
meeting rival factions who have clashed since President Manuel
Zelaya was ousted in a military-backed coup in June.
Mayi Antillon, a spokeswoman for the Costa Rican
government, said Arias would continue to work from home.
"He does not want to deceive the population," she said
explaining the decision to make his illness public.
27 people have died as a result of the virus in
Costa Rica, and about 800 people have been infected.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'