Costa ship adrift off Seychelles after fire: Italy
Rome: An Italian cruise ship from the same
fleet as the tragedy-struck Costa Concordia is adrift off the
Seychelles with more than 1,000 people on board following a
fire, Italy`s coast guard said on Monday.
Fire crews on board managed to put out the blaze near
generators in the engine room, and no one was injured on the
luxury ship, the Costa Allegra.
The ship, however, issued a mayday call seeking
assistance from any nearby cargo ships and there was a power
blackout on board, the coastguard said in a statement.
It said it had contacted local authorities in the
Seychelles, adding that the accident happened near Alphonse
Island some 200 nautical miles from the Indian Ocean
archipelago`s main island.
A Seychelles official said help was on the way.
"We have made contact with the vessel. We are sending
assistance," said Michael Rosette, deputy army chief of staff,
adding, "There are no casualties."
The coastguard said all 636 passengers and 413 crew on
the ship, which left Madagascar on Saturday on its way to the
Seychelles, were "in good health and were informed promptly of
"The Costa Allegra`s engines are out but its
communications are working," it said.
Costa Crociere, which is based in Genoa in northern
Italy, said it had been informed of the fire at 10:39 am (0939
GMT) in Italy.
"Fire security procedures on board were immediately
activated and special fire crews intervened. The fire was
extinguished and did not extend to any other part of the ship.
There were no injured or victims," it said.
"The general emergency alarm was promptly declared. All
passengers and crew members not managing the emergency went to
the muster stations," it said.
Checks are under way in the engine room to re-start the
instruments necessary to reactivate the functioning of the
ship, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi