Counter-terror officers probe blast near UK mosque
London: Counter-terrorism officers in the West Midlands region of England cordoned off parts of a town to investigate reports of a "loud bang" near a mosque on Friday.
Residents of the town of Tipton reported finding nails and debris near a local mosque on Binfield Street but there are no reports of any injuries, West Midlands Police said.
"Police have been called to Binfield Street in Tipton this afternoon following reports of a loud bang. Some residents have reported finding debris in the area and finding nails. This is being investigated by forensic officers at the scene," a spokesperson for the police force said.
A number of roads have been closed and the immediate area evacuated as a precautionary measure.
According to local media reports from the region, eyewitnesses claim a bomb went off in the car park of the mosque.
A member of the congregation of the Kanz-ul-Iman Muslim Welfare Association central Jamia Mosque described it as a "nail bomb".
In June, a small home-made bomb was left outside a mosque in Walsall, a few miles north-east of Tipton, in an incident the police are treating as a hate crime.
The device, described as no bigger than a mobile phone, was left outside the Aisha mosque in Rutter Street, Caldmore.
No-one was injured in that incident and damage was minimal, but more than 150 people were evacuated from nearby houses.
The incidents follow a series of attacks on mosques around the UK in the wake of the murder of soldier Lee Rigby, who was hacked to death in the street outside the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, south-east London, in May.
Thousands of mourners were lining the streets of his hometown of Bury in Greater Manchester for the soldier`s funeral service on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LeEco Le Max 2: Aiming to outshine rivals with powerful hardware, CDLA technology
- WATCH: How Lionel Messi missed crucial penalty kick in Copa America final against Chile
- When Varun Dhawan, John Abraham came to Jacqueline Fernandez's rescue—Full story inside
- Congress stalwart Sheila Dikhsit refuses to become CM face for 2017 UP elections
- Modi govt shortlists 4 candidates to succeed Raghuram Rajan as RBI Governor