`Countries building own internet network to be disastrous`
Washington: Countries trying to build and operate their own internet system is "a road to disaster" a top Pentagon official said given that two nations Iran and China are making such an effort.
"Any country that builds and operates its own internet devices and infrastructure, I think, is on a road to disaster," General Keith Alexander, Commander of US Cyber Command, told a meeting of US Chamber of Commerce yesterday, explaining that such countries would lag far behind the rest of the world.
"The great thing about the internet that has been developed is the interconnectivity, the ability to take in some of the devices that we have.
The government sees this as incredible opportunity -- commercial, off-the-shelf technology that we can use; working with them, how we make mobile-secure solutions," he said.
"So if you don`t have a network that can meet those things, what you have is a network that will quickly lag behind the rest of the world because you`re not able to integrate all the pieces in it," he said, emphasising that an open infrastructure here is absolutely vital to the future.
"It would be like the government trying to build its own with its own system and technology. What would quickly happen is we couldn`t afford the chips for our small sector," he said.
"Neither could some of those countries. As a consequence, we would fall behind everybody else and pretty soon they would be using rotary phones and we`d have iPhones, and their people are going to say, hold it; I`d rather have that," Alexander argued.
"So I think it would break down in that manner. So I`m just on the opposite side," he said responding to a question that two countries Iran and China are building their own internet system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you